Evie's tips to success! - May
Thank you for taking the time to read my newsletter.
Did you know? Mind over matter.
The key to long-term weight loss success may not be the body, but the mind. Training the mind is just as important as training the body for keeping the weight off long term. If you don't get in the right head space, the weight will come back on.
Losing weight is science, keeping weight off is a psychology. They are two completely different things.
You have to focus on your goal every day and I don’t mean “I want to lose weight because I will be healthier.” You need to dig deeper, get your emotions involved.
Picture yourself, your life, once you’ve lost the weight, reached your goal...
- How does that make you feel?
- What can you do to stay motivated?
Here are some ways to help you stay in control;
- Get inspired by somebody: Find someone who started out where you are and read through their journey. Weight loss motivation can be piggy backed off someone else’s efforts.
- Personal success routine: This has been huge in helping me stay motivated for whatever my goals are. Wake up in the morning (try same time) and go through a routine that pumps you up for the day. I’m not talking “full on Rocky training” here, I simply mean do a few things every morning that get you focused and prepared for the rest of the day. For example, if you work from home don’t just get up and start working in your pjs… Instead get up and immediately get your body moving with some stretching. Then shower and make yourself presentable and then take a few seconds to focus in your mind on what you want to accomplish that day. If you keep this routine going for a while you will hard code motivation into your brain. This could be for any goal, not just for weight loss and exercise.
Get your target in front of you daily: Make sure you’re always seeing your goals.
On your fridge, on your laptop, screensaver…whatever works best for you. Keep your goals focused. Avoid: Lose ten kilos. Try: Lose ten kilos so I when I can look hot for my friend’s birthday in 3 months.
Extra info…Benefits of a fast metabolism.
1. Helps with weight loss; Let’s start with the most obvious benefit. By increasing your metabolism, particularly your BMR, you will burn more calories just by doing the activities you usually do. For example; sitting on the couch watching TV or even while you are sleeping, your body is working to burn the calories you consume. Best of all, the results are long-term, unlike a quick-fix diet.
2. Eat more without worrying about it; Since you burn calories faster now, you can eat more without feeling guilty. This does not mean overindulging or snacking on junk food, though. But in general, you can be less concerned about the quantity of food you eat.
3. Feel more energized; People with faster metabolism report having more energy. With a faster metabolism, your body is performing efficiently to release the energy you need to get going.
4. Look better; The skin of people with a fast metabolism is brighter and more radiant. Their faces are pinkish, more alive with colour. With a faster metabolism, you will not only feel good but also look better.
5. Overall healthier; Your body functions more efficiently with a faster metabolism. Digestion, absorption of nutrients and blood circulation are improved. And you won’t need as much sleep as you did before to feel refreshed the next day.
A few steps you can take to improve your metabolism naturally are;
- Drink water - Water is great for you and you should be drinking a minimum of 8 to 10, glasses daily, of course, more is better. It will help increase your metabolism and remove toxins and fat. Drinking water before meals will shrink your stomach so you feel full quicker, and the cold water also helps to increase the metabolism.
- Eat every three hours - Eat a small balanced meal every three hours, including snacks. Meals and snacks should be balance, meaning they should contain a complete protein, carbohydrates, as well as natural fat. Failure to eat consistently can lead to a slower metabolism and fat storage. Skipping meals slows down your metabolism. To ignite weight loss you need to be consuming the right foods throughout the day in a balanced manner.
- Don't skip breakfast - Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as it gets your metabolism running in high gear. You wouldn't drive to work on an empty tank and you shouldn't start your day without adequate nourishment. Your first meal sets your metabolism for the day and keeps it going.
- Don't fear fat – Good fat has a bad rep. Many think fat makes you fat. This is false. The type of fat and how much fat you eat impact your body fat composition. Fat is needed by the body. Those who follow a very low-fat diet have a harder time ridding their body of fat. Choose natural healthy fats such as olive oil, avocados, various nuts, flax, and natural peanut butter. Stay away from Trans-fat as this is the bad fat, the cause of weight gain, low energy, depression, cancer, and heart disease.
- Be active daily - Stay active at least five days a week. Take the stairs when possible or park further out to get that little bit of extra movement and keep the heart and lungs working optimally.
- HIIT It - Blend some High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) into your cardiovascular program from time to time to give your body and metabolism a good shock. The body is programmed to adapt. Therefore, the same cardio day in and day out can become stale real fast. Take one or two days a week and implement some HIIT to give the body an added shock.
- Weight train - Resistance training builds muscle, which is metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you acquire, the faster your metabolism.
- Listen to your body - Killing yourself with workouts is just as dangerous as not working out at all. Listen to your body and get proper rest. Don't train if you are ill or just simply too tired. Training in such a state can cause more problems than it solves.
Quote of the month: Between yesterday's regrets and tomorrow's dreams is today's opportunity!
So there you have it guys, hope you found this information useful.
Take control of your diet and your life. rock on!
Till next month..
Evie - Director of Total Fitness Training